What on earth is fly-tipping?
Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste and it is a crime punishable by up to a £50,000 fine or imprisonment.
Everyone has a legal ‘duty of care’ to ensure your household or business waste is disposed of correctly. You can be prosecuted even if your waste is fly tipped by someone else on your behalf. It can be as small as a single bag to as big as an entire truck load of rubbish.
If it’s your waste, it’s your responsibility.
What are the impacts?
- is a criminal activity that can cause serious pollution to the environment, it is a risk to human health and can harm wildlife and farm animals
- spoils the local neighbourhoods and quality of life
- costs an estimated £100 million in total to clean up
- costs local authorities alone £44 million each year to clear up
- is seen as a major problem by over three quarters of landowners and affects 67% of farmers
- undermines legitimate waste management companies who are undercut by illegal operators